The Brighton Area Historical Society (BAHS) was formed in 1981. We are based in the historic Lyon School building, a local landmark that we are very proud of. In 1842, Brighton pioneer settler Richard Lyon donated land for the first school in Brighton Township’s District No. 8 Area. The original school house on the site was a log building. In addition to classes, Methodists worshipped in the log school until 1874.
In 1885, the log building was replaced with the one-room clapboard structure that still stands today. Classes were held in the Lyon School building until the area schools consolidated in 1956. From 1956 through 1984 the building was used as the Brighton Township Hall. The school house has since been generously deeded to the BAHS by the Brighton Township Trustees.
Restoration was started in 1984 to restore the building as a functional one-room school and museum. In 2000, the Brighton Rotary Club “Raiders” held a blitz build event and completed final restoration.